Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sleepyhead

Hello Bloggers! Its been a while since I have blogged! I started college... and with college you lose... SLEEP! Lately I noticed how many photo's there are of me falling asleep with friends and family who decided to capture the funny moment. (lucky me) Well it made me think about how much our bodies need sleep, and how much I try to go without it! Did you know that teenagers need as much sleep as small children (about 10 hrs) while those over 65 need the least of all (about six hours). For the average adult aged 25-55, eight hours is considered optimal? I knew teenagers needed more, but I had no idea 65 and older only require 6 hours! Also did you know, a new baby typically results in 400-750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year? Reading fun facts about sleep I learned that the record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

How do you know if you are sleep deprived? Anything less than five minutes to fall asleep at night means you're sleep deprived. The ideal is between 10 and 15 minutes, meaning you're still tired enough to sleep deeply, but not so exhausted you feel sleepy by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment